Tuesday 24 March 2009

Silverstone Completed!!!

I did it - without the use of medical staff, ambulance or a stretcher!

The day started early at 6am - we left Scunthorpe at 7 with my adrenaline just beginning to bubble. According to reports from the passengers in my car it peak about 1 hr away from Silverstone. I was described as being "extremely pumped". Admittedly I was a little excited.

We arrived nice and early at Silverstone - which was great as we got parking space near the entrance (benefited us after the race). Total praise must go to the organisers as it was very well done.
We had about 2 hrs to kill so we wandered around the area, gathering all the freebies available (Lucozade galore - although the "energy bars" were not nice at all)

The tannoy called all athletes to make their way to the start area - and we responded as on that day we were classed as ATHLETES!!

While standing in the starting area - it was announced that the race would be delay by 15 minutes due to some people being held up on the motorway (LEAVE EARLY NEXT TIME PEOPLE!)

Finally the race started and we set off.... well Mark C, Nigel and Me. Mark Watt and Mark Dobb had found their way to the front as they intended to rocket around the track. Me.. I was aiming for 2hrs 40mins (with a pork sandwich waiting for me if I was successful)

MILE ONE - 12min 13 seconds; perfect pace. I was happy.

Between Mile One and Two - I lost Mark C, and tried to keep up with Nigel. I managed this until Mile 3.

So all the plans of running together went out the window and here I was alone with Lionel Richie in my ears. 10 miles to go.


I pressed on until Mile 6 when I had to stop - and after that it was a case of Run/Walk. It was also at Mile 6 that I began to feel a blister on my little toe (pic attached)

I pressed on through the miles and got to Mile 12 with 2hrs 35mins on the clock. One mile to go, I had nothing left but didn't want to quit. As I rounded the last corner I was overtaken by a guy dressed in full army gear and carrying a huge back pack. Respect to him!

As I crossed the line I really wanted to burst into tears - it was a massive emotional moment! Everything was hurting but I didn't care - I'd managed to finish!!

Got my medal and met up with the guys - (they'd all finished before me!) No one dared utter the words "Here's to next year" (I think Mark Dobbs was thinking it though)

It took 3 days before I could move without pain. It was a great experience, and you never know..... I may do it again next year - although that is in NO WAY a statement of confirmation.

No comments: